Sunday, September 4, 2016

The new galley table. Bigger, more versatile, better.


This summer I took on the project of building a new galley table.  The old one was in good shape but it was a single table with no options to make it larger for more comfort and room when we have visitors on board for a meal, a game of cards or just visiting and having the snacks spread out in front of us.

The plans that guided the project.

Before we left the Liahona in Mexico to come home for the summer I took some basic measurements, drew a simple drawing and had plenty of imaginations in my head for what I wanted to do.  Raw lumber was bought and the process started.  Hours and hours passed as the lumber was measured, cut, planed, glued, sanded, assembled and finished.



 A look across the mirror like finish.

 The leaf support extended.

 Leaf folded out and support legs down.



A look at the underside showing the slide out supports and drop down legs.

The glare on the far end left intentionally to showcase the glassy finish.

The finished product was much better than I had ever hoped for.  It is truly a piece of wooden art. However, along with the beauty came much more functionality and ease of use that I hope will serve us onboard the Liahona.  I would love to take credit for this work but I really have to give the majority of the credit to my good friend Ron Drake whose skills and love of wood are manifest in everything that he does...and he doesn't do this for money. He does it because he loves it and loves creating things with wood. We spent many hours together in his shop talking about every subject possible while we worked together on what is now this finished product.  Thank you Ron for your expertise and the many, many hours that you devoted to this project.  Marne and I hope that you will come see your creation in it's intended environment onboard the Liahona.



Until next time,

SV Liahona
Bret and Marne

P.S.  I am going to try to put together a video of the process and post it up here later.

No comments:

Post a Comment