Monday, March 30, 2015

March 30, La Cruz - Windlass problems continue...

Today was a reality check for myself and anyone else that has been mislead into thinking that cruising is all white sand beaches, palm trees, warm water and Mai Tais.  My windlass has continued to act up and not be the reliable piece of equipment that I need it to be.  So today it was time to dig in, remove, tear apart, replace and repair whatever is needed to make right.  Unfortunately it is about a 3 hour project just to remove the windlass from the spot it is nestled into up in the bow.  I won't go into all of the details but suffice it to say that it is time consuming, tedious, knuckle bleeding work.  So after removing the windlass then it is time to tear into it to try to find out what needs to be done.  That all being done by myself who doesn't have a clue.  I call it the poke and hope program.  I do have some books to refer to but I wish I were more knowledgeable than I am.  After most of the afternoon had expired I really hadn't gotten any closer to the goal.  I believe that I need to clean the brushes and commentator but after digging into it I quickly realize I'm in over my head.  So...tomorrow's project will be to seek out someone with more know how with regards to electric motors that can offer some advice.

My other issue is that the main furling system seems to be very tight and difficult to furl.  I may have a failing bearing at the base of the furler and/or problems with the main sail alignment in the furler.  Either way, I have to roll the main out, remove it from the mast and drop it to the deck then dismantle the furling system and inspect the parts.  While I am in there I will replace the old main furling line with new and put it all back together again.  I was hoping to start that tomorrow morning when there is no wind but my number one priority now is the windlass.  Without it, the anchor stays put on the bottom of the ocean outside of La Cruz harbor and I don't move.  Not a fantastic option.  Once I at least get that on track and moving in the right direction I will dig into the main sail.

While I was busy with projects on the boat Aven and Karla got adventurous and hopped a couple of buses up to Sayulita, a small surf town just north of here.  It is Semana Santa here in Mexico so any little resort beach like that is crazy busy and full.  They said it was a cool little town but WAY too many people.  That is the update for today my friends.  Hoping to report better news tomorrow.

Bret, Aven, Karla
SV Liahona

No comments:

Post a Comment