Tuesday, March 10, 2015

March 10, Ensenada de los Muertos

Another day is closing on the Sea of Cortez.  A pretty relaxing day here in Muertos with the temperature around 85 today and the winds out of the northwest at about 15 knots.  I woke up this morning to loud slapping noises on the water.  As I poked my head out of the companionway I found the source of the loud slaps.  Several rays were jumping 3-5 feet out of the water, summersalting in the air and slapping down with a loud thwack.  There were probably 7 or 8 of them within a 100 yards of the boat.  The show went on for about 10 minutes before they either got tired or had completed whatever it was that they were trying to accomplish.  I have heard that rays do that to rid themselves of parasites that they didn't want giving a free ride to.  Whatever the case, I enjoyed the show, which by the way, is not uncommon, something I see pretty much every day.

Around 11am I went for a run out some dirt road leading to who knows where.  I simply followed it for about 20 minutes or so and then turned around and ran on back home.  On the way back a couple of fishermen towing their panga passed by and looked at me with that look of bewilderment like "what in the heck are you doing out here"? lol  I went back to the boat, had some lunch then decided to go in to the beach restaurant to have a look at the menu to see if they could entice me for dinner.  I decided not. As  I was getting back in the dinghy on the beach a panga with two fisherman pulled up with their catch from the morning.  9 sharks, ranging from about 4' to about 9'.  3 Hammerheads, 4 Blues and 2 Makos.  Wow, not exactly what you want to see right before you head out to do a little snorkeling...alone!  lol.  Well, I went out anyway, of course, and had a really nice snorkel off the reef to the north of the anchorage.  It was beautiful.  The water was super clear and there was a ton of fish.  I was also doing a little prospecting for the possibility of bugs later tonight.  Although the dive was really nice I wasn't super impressed by the possibility of lobster there.  Or was it the sharks lingering in the back of my mind on a night dive alone?  lol.  Either way, I think I will pass tonight.  I will get the dinghy all put away ready for an early departure tomorrow morning around 6am headed for Bahia Frailles which lies about 46 miles to the south.

I did get some company later this afternoon as another sailboat just anchored beside me about a half an hour ago.  They are flying a Canadian flag so maybe later I will stop by and say hi.

Ciao for now,
Capn Bret
SV Liahona

No comments:

Post a Comment