Sunday, May 10, 2015

May 10, Puerto Escondido

Just want to say happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers I know and am close to, especially my own mom, my sister, Marne, her mom and also to Maureen, the mother of our children.  I hope it doesn't make anyone uncomfortable, my mentioning Maureen, but I have nothing but good to say about the kind of mom she has been for our kids.  She is kind, caring, loving and nurturing.  Thank you Maureen for everything you have given and will give of yourself for them. (She is not on the list that receives these emails but I hope someone who does will pass on my appreciation to her) 

Today is a sit and do projects day as I wait for more favorable weather here in the protected waters of Puerto Escondido just a few miles down the road from Loreto BCS.  Items checked off the list today include rinsing and stowing the Flopper Stopper, changing out the reacher furling line (part of my ongoing project of replacing all of the running rigging with new, I'm almost there) installing the new adapter and hose for the rail mounted BBQ (no more expensive throw away bottles), remove the old outboard rail mount and install the new one that I made with Ron Drake when I was there at Christmas, re-rig the solar shower lines, and last but not least, redo and retighten circuit breaker wiring for the compass at the binnacle and also the stereo (finally solved the problem of the intermittent power supply to the stereo that made it sound like it was skipping).  Bit by bit, little by little, the Liahona gets revised and revamped to better and more comfortably serve and protect Marne and I as we make it our home on the water.  

Today I have been thinking of my pal Gregg as he is hopefully putting a LONG bus ride back home in his rear view mirror.  Gregg, be sure to send me a note as soon as you are safely back home.  Last night I went up on deck and marveled at what I saw. The heavens above are so expansive, so beautiful, so endless that it leaves my mind calm yet pensive all at the same time.  Few get to truly experience what it is like to look up into the sky on a dark night and take into your mind's eye the seemingly endless numbers of stars that exist beyond our touch.  Unless you live or have visited a place 100 miles or more from a town or population center where light pollution is almost nonexistent, you and I have different perspectives of "the heavens above". Here there are so many stars and they are so bright and clear that it makes it difficult to even find or pick out the major constellations like the Big Dipper or Orion's Belt. They simply get buried among the billions of other stars that most don't even get to see.  Sometimes I lie on the foredeck staring upward watching the masthead light dance among the backdrop of stars.  It's mesmerizing. 

I have said it many times before and I will say it again...I am truly grateful for my existence here in this amazing place on this amazing planet in this amazing universe. Being honest I won't pretend to understand all of the workings of this infinitely intertwined puzzle of mankind, God and our universe but I am grateful for it.  I try to be present for the little details of that puzzle that are presented to me daily and in turn be thankful for them and use each of those experiences to better myself.  I know that good things abound wherever you are but I do feel incredibly lucky to be experiencing them here aboard the Liahona.  That is probably enough introspection for one day my friends.  Take some time and try it sometime, it's good for the soul.  Ciao for now.

Bret
SV Liahona

No comments:

Post a Comment