Wednesday, April 29, 2015

April 29, A peaceful sail (mostly motoring) up to Agua Verde.

Quietly anchored in Agua Verde

7:30 am - I am the net controller for the Sonrisa net on the ham radio every Wednesday so I was up around 7am tuning in the radio and getting a cup of coffee so that I would be ready for the net.  As I start the net, protocol is to ask first for any emergency or priority traffic.  A call came in.  It was Michael on Quest who is traveling singlehanded from Cabo to San Diego.  Marne and I met him when we were in Cabo. He is offshore about 150 miles and some 300 miles south of San Diego and he has electrical issues, all of his batteries are dead from an unknown drain on them and he cannot start his motor.  He is on a sailboat so it is not a dire emergency but we worked through some possible solutions troubleshooting his power drain and hopefully his solar will be able to charge enough today to be able to get his engine running.  He is currently sailing but if some nasty weather came up or no weather at all and he will be wishing he had a motor.

8:20am - After the net the anchor came up, but not easily I might add, so I could head out northbound toward Agua Verde.  Yesterday when I arrived in Nopolo I put a mask on to take a look at the keel and see if there was anything substantial after the run in with the sandbar in La Paz.  I indeed rubbed a little paint off of the front and bottom of the keel but other than that all is well.  While I was in the water I snorkeled out the length of the anchor chain to look at how the anchor was set.  It was completely buried in the sand, which is awesome, but I noticed 2 or 3 large logs lying on the bottom in the vicinity of the anchor.  Not much I could do about it but I was worried that when I picked the anchor up I might get snagged on one of the stray logs.  My concern was confirmed this morning when the windlass starting laboring to pull up the last 50' of chain.  Upon looking down into the clear waters to the bottom I could easily see that I was indeed wrapped around the log and pulling it up along with the chain and anchor. In a worse case scenario I could let some chain out, dive down and untangle the mess and then proceed.  Fortunately, after some high rpm maneuvering the log gave up, let go, and I was free.

9:00am - Only a half hour out of Nopolo and I am in the middle of the biggest pod of dolphins I have seen yet.  Almost as far as I can see, at least 3/4 to a mile around in all directions, there are dolphins jumping and enjoying the warmth of the morning sun. As I motored through the group several came to play in the bow wave then jetted off in other directions once their curiosity with the Liahona was satisfied.  It took a good half hour to finally get through the pod and as I motor northward (there is no wind this morning) I can see the huge pod fading into the sea behind the boat.  Not a bad way to start the day.

11am - Still motoring.  The seas are flat calm and glassy.  I have taken a course heading more north than the direct course to Agua Verde hoping that the wind will fill in and betting that when it does it will come more from the northeast instead of the northwest allowing me to sail the last half of today's travels but so far I see no signs of wind.  I'm a bit bored so I turn the stereo on but it is skipping.  How is that possible with an iPod?  Looking at the face of the stereo I see that the power is blinking on and off randomly.  A loose connection somewhere that will need to be addressed.  I grab my current read, Gone Girl, and start turning pages.  After a bit I decide to walk up to the bow, look into the water and be present for the calm beauty of the Sea of Cortez. The sun is almost directly overhead and looking down into the clear aqua water I see the rays of the sun prisoming down into the water.  Rays coming from around the compass and arriving at a single point that looks to be to be 30-50' below the surface making it appear that the light rays are originating from a spot below and spreading out as they reach the surface.  There are a lot of jellyfish in the water.  About the size and shape of a doughnut, milky translucent and speckled with red dots.  Each one passes quickly under or beside the boat, disappearing only to be replaced by others strewn across this piece of ocean.  It's a beautiful day.  Calm, clear and warm but a day so far spent burning up fossil fuels at the fortunately slow rate of about 2/3 of a gallon per hour as I motor along at 1600 rpms. Hoping that the afternoon breezes will fill in but grateful for the life here on the sea.

2:30pm - Right around noon a slight breeze from the NNE came up as I had hoped.  It is not much, varying between 3-7 knots, but it's better than motoring and since I have nothing to do all day I am enjoying the peace of it all.  Agua Verde is now about 10 miles in front of me and easily in sight slightly around the corner from Punta San Marte.  I haven't seen another boat all day and as I look out into the nothingness of the ocean out to the east toward mainland Mexico my my mind wanders and wonders if this is what it would be like on a long passage to the South Pacific.  Nothing but water, a very slight wind with slow progress toward the destination.

4:30pm - After a very peaceful but slow sail into Agua Verde I am safely anchored in this beautiful cove that is protected on the west by the Gigantas mountains and the the north and east by rocky hills and reefs.  After taking a swim and a bath I wandered over to Moon Drifter to say hello.  Two of the nicest people you will ever meet.  Ralph is 83 and Helen is 70, enjoying the golden years aboard their SeaWinds 1100 catamaran.  The dinghy is launched and I plan to go ashore this evening to a little restaurant on the beach that has a reputation for excellent burgers. Another  fine day cruising the Sea of Cortez. No complaints.  Beauty surrounds.  Look around and you will find it.  Ciao for now.

Bret
SV Liahona

No comments:

Post a Comment